Sunday 15 April 2012

A double première

Yesterday finally was the day: we would watch the live performance of Verdi’s La Traviata in the Metropolitan Opera House sitting in a tiny cinema in Chalon. De show ran at the big auditorium, with a balcony, hence we looked straight into the stage of the Met.
This was the very first time I saw La Traviata in a modern “timeless” setting. And that was not disappointing. I am not terribly impressed by two singing Negros with ghetto blasters on their shoulders prancing through a Mozart opera. I would also not be impressed by Porgy and Bess being performed by an all white crew, hence I think there is nothing wrong showing La Traviata in mid 19th century costumes and scenery. But actually I have to admit that the semi-circular stage with a continous bench along the edge, with as the only requisites a huge clock and a number of Ikea-sofas, grew on me during the performance. As a matter of fact, I thought it was very effective indeed in the last act. The music was fantastic, the sound in the cinema was superb and the high definition projection was crystal-clear. In the mean time I have found out that this “Live at the Met” service is available in other countries as well. In the UK one can watch “Live at the Met” even in Llandudno!
Next years program did not really appeal to me, but those who loved the film “The Lord of the Ring” will certainly drool watching Wagner’s complete “Ring der Nibelungen” with plenty of Teutonic violence, gigantic scenery and big quantities of warriors with swords and spears. The preview we saw was very similar to the preview of I once saw of “The Lord of the Ring”.
And the second première? When we wanted to turn into the path to our house, we caught a young wild boar crossing the road in our headlights. And then you realize that you do not have your camera with you...

No comments:

Post a Comment